Hi, How Can We Help You?

If My Child Needs Healthcare, ...

If My Child Needs Healthcare, What Happens If I’m Not Present?

People often worry about whether their child will get needed healthcare if they are not present to consent to the health services.  Fortunately, in South Carolina a minor can be given healthcare even if their parent or guardian is not present if in the opinion of a doctor, nurse, emergency personnel, etc. the services are deemed necessary.  If an operation is required, parental or guardian consent is not needed if the operation is essential to the health or life of the child as determined by the performing physician.  See S.C. Code 63-5-350.

-Rhett D. Burney
Attorney at Law

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *