Hi, How Can We Help You?

Am I Entitled to My Child’s ...

Am I Entitled to My Child’s Medical Records If I Don’t Have Custody?

Is your child’s medical provider refusing to give you a copy of your child’s medical records just because you don’t have custody?  If so, they may be violating South Carolina law.  In South Carolina even if you do not have custody of your child, you are still entitled to access to your child’s medical records.  South Carolina law says that each parent, whether the custodial or noncustodial parent of the child, has equal access and the same right to obtain all medical records of their minor children unless prohibited by order of the court.  S.C. Code, Sc. 63-5-30.  So, unless your family court order or other order prevents you from accessing your child’s medical records then you are definitely entitled to your child’s medical records.

-Rhett D. Burney
Attorney at Law

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *